MPA Application Instructions
Applicants should submit the following items through the on-line application system at NC State Graduate School Online Application to apply to the Masters of Public Administration program;
- The Graduate School application and application fee
- A personal statement (one-page summary of career goals and the ways the MPA will help achieve them)
- A resume
- Three letters of reference (at least one academic reference is suggested but not required)
- One copy of transcripts from all previous undergraduate and graduate college work
Applicants should have the Educational Testing Service submit an official report of their Graduate Record Examination scores (Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing scores only) to the NC State Graduate School.
International applicants for whom English is a secondary language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). There are currently three versions of the TOEFL, for each of which the Public Administration Department has a minimum acceptable score: the paper-based (minimum score 600); the computer-based (minimum score 250); and the internet-based (minimum score 100). An official report should be submitted by the Educational Testing Service to the NC State Graduate School.
MPA PILOT ADMISSIONS FOR IN-SERVICE STUDENTS: No GRE Scores
- Prospective in-service students with 5+ years of public service experience (including at least a year of managerial or supervisory work) and a 3.5 undergraduate GPA (including an intermediate course in statistics or quantitative methods) may qualify for a pilot admissions program that does not require submission of GRE scores. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that the pilot admissions program is limited to the MPA program. All Ph.D. applicants must submit GRE scores.
Application Deadlines for Fall Admission
(including all required supporting documents)
- May 15 (Fall 2017 Admission Deadline Extended to June 1st)
- March 1 International Students
- February 1 for full consideration for financial aid
Application Deadlines for Spring Admission
- November 1
- July 15 for International Students