Skip to main content


We offer our students a number of scholarship opportunities and study abroad awards.

How to Apply

Undergraduate Scholarships

  • Complete a general application in Pack ASSIST, and the university will match you with awards for which you qualify.
  • Review application deadlines and apply early to receive first consideration. Newly admitted students should apply when they’re admitted.

Study Abroad Scholarships

  • Complete a single application with the Study Abroad Office. This is a different application than Pack ASSIST.
  • Review application deadlines for spring, summer and fall study abroad cycles.
students talking on a fall day

Political Science Support


The department offers a limited number of J.W. Pope Foundation undergraduate grants for student projects in political science. Students are awarded $4,000 and their faculty advisor $1,000. These awards are for top students who are undertaking work of the highest quality. For more information, see professor Andrew J. Taylor.

Faculty within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences can apply for grants provided by the college dean’s office that provide stipends to students for carrying out research tasks that support ongoing faculty research projects. Students receive mentoring and experience with research procedures that are consistent with the discipline of the faculty member.

The Office of Undergraduate Research provides Undergraduate Research Grants to assist in funding student research.

Calls for proposals for NC State funding are given three times a year, in April/May for the following fall and spring semesters, in September for the following spring only, and in March/April for the summer semester(s). Travel grant submissions are ongoing during the fiscal year from July to June. 

Students wishing to apply for the NC State Undergraduate Research Grants should have a mentor identified for the research, prepare a research proposal, and complete a budget of expenses related to the research.  Submission of the proposal and budget are done by the student through an online submission process. Learn more on their website.


The Block award is named after Professor William J. Block, a former department head, and goes to a deserving graduating senior for service to the university and broader community. Application details here.

Named after former faculty member, Professor Erika Fairchild, the Fairchild award is given to the graduating senior who has written the best paper during the academic year.

The Highest Scholastic Achievement award goes to the graduating senior with the highest cumulative GPA.


Endowed scholarship awarded yearly to a junior or senior political science major who demonstrates (1) academic excellence, (2) the potential to make positive professional contributions following graduation, and (3) involvement in campus or community service activities.

Endowed scholarship awarded yearly to students who want to accept an internship with the federal government but are restricted from doing so because of financial hardship. Applicants must (1) have been accepted into an internship program in Washington D.C. with a federal agency or elected official and (2) actively support federal civilian service.

Endowed scholarship awarded yearly that is intended to encourage and reward deserving political science majors (first-year students through seniors) in the law and justice concentration.

Fund established in honor of Professor J. Oliver Williams to support the efforts of political science majors.

Endowed scholarship awarded yearly to an outstanding sophomore or junior political science major who (1) has demonstrated interest international affairs, and (2) is studying a foreign language.